“Helgoland I” – 59′ Henry Gruber Yawl – 1937 – $400,000 CAN SOLD
This boat was completely reconstructed over the past 4 years. New mahogany planking was fixed to the steel ribs with stainless steel bolts and the hull was epoxy-coated. The entire main deck was redone with Oregon pine and the interior was refurbished. New electronic equipment was installed, the main engine and gearbox were rebuilt. The Helgoland 1 is almost identical to her original condition when she was the pride of the German fleet. Uffa Fox says “The lines of Helgoland 1 show a wonderful combination of speed, sea worthiness and comfort”. The vessel was donated to the Royal Canadian Navy in 1968, where she became their most beloved training ship, when she was known as “Pickle”. July 1999 survey available upon request.
59′ Henry Gruber Yawl
- Boat Name: Helgoland 1
- Year: 1937
- Current Price: Can$ 400,000
- Located in Gaspe Peninsula, QC
- Hull Material: Wood
- Engine/Fuel Type: Single diesel
- YW# 4104-1073352
- Central/Exclusive Listing
- Available for co-brokerage
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Henry Gruber
LOA: 59 ft 0 in
Beam: 13 ft 0 in
LWL: 42 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 8 ft 0 in
Engine Brand: Diesel
Engine Model: John Deere
Maximum Speed: 11 mph
Fuel Tanks: (175 Gallons)
Displacement: 27 T
Total Power: 150
Helgoland sleeps eight comfortably. (See diagram).Starting forward, there is an enclosed cabin with a private shower and toilet. In the main saloon there is a galley/lounge fully equipped and with seating and sleeping for six persons. This area has its own toilet. In the wheelhouse there is a full complement of electronics.
|Sails, Spars and Rigging
The two spars and booms are laminated fir. There are new oak spreaders on the spars. All new rigging with 1/2″ steel wire.
Approximately 20 sails of all types which have been minimally used, according to the surveyor (July ’99).
Radar, GPS, auto-pilot, depth sounder,etc.
During the recent refit, the vessel’s original hull planking was completely replaced with new 1 3/4″ mahogany planking. The seams and butts were laminated with epoxy and mechanically joined with SS fasteners. The planking was secured to the original steel frames which run the full length of the vessel. The hull was then externally covered with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resins to a thickness of 1/4″. Other structural upgrades included a new main deck and wheelhouse.
Kubota generator,twelve volt batteries, shore power, hot water heater,sanitary pumps, manual windlass, Halon system in engine room, engine room fully insulated for noise and heat, two steering positions with engine controls( one inside and one outside on top bridge). A video and written history of the vessel are available upon request.